COLUMBUS, GA – On Wednesday, November 6, 2013, Congressman Sanford D. Bishop, Jr. (GA-02), Co-chair of the Congressional Military Family Caucus (CMFC), will host a Military Family Summit at the National Infantry Museum at Fort Benning in Georgia.
The purpose of the Military Family Summit on November 6 is to connect military families with Members of Congress, officials from the Department of Defense, and personnel from numerous military family support organizations to discuss pressing issues impacting America’s service members and their families. Military families will be able to participate in panel discussions to discuss issues faced on a daily basis, such as family health, resiliency, spouse employment and education, military child education, transition assistance, retirement, benefits, and financial readiness for the future. Additionally, resources specific to military families will be provided by attending support organizations.
The CMFC is a bipartisan congressional caucus that educates elected officials, congressional staffers, senior military leaders, and the public on a wide range of unique issues that affect military families. Currently, over 80 Democrats and Republicans are members of the CMFC.
· Congressman Sanford D. Bishop, Jr. (D-GA); Co-chair of the Congressional Military Family Caucus
· Congressman John Culberson (R-TX); member of the Congressional Military Family Caucus
· Lt Gen Joseph L. Lengyel; Vice Chief, National Guard Bureau
· Maj Gen Jim Butterworth; Adjutant General, Georgia National Guard
· Mrs. Katie McMaster; spouse of MG H.R. McMaster Fort Benning CG
· COL (P) Leopoldo A. Quintas; Commandant, US Army Armor School
· LTG (Ret) Carmen Cavezza; National Infantry Foundation Chairman
· MG (Ret) Jerry White; Academy Nominations Board Chairman
· Isaiah Hugley; City Manager, City of Columbus
· Ed Helton; Executive Director, The Leadership Institute
· KEYNOTE: Sergeant Major Bryan Battaglia; Senior Advisor to the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs
· KEYNOTE: Mrs. Lisa Battaglia; spouse of Sergeant Major Battaglia
· Resources and availability to support organizations such as; AAFES, American Legion, Blue Star Families, Blue Star Wives, Central Alabama Veterans Health Care System, First Command, Fort Benning Army Community Services, Fort Mitchell National Cemetery, GA Department of Veterans Services, Georgia Department of Labor, Georgia Military OneSource Joint Family Support Assistance Program, Gold Star Wives, House of Heroes, NeighborWorks, New Horizons, Rosalynn Carter Institute for Caregiving, Soldier for Life, The Blind Veterans Association, The Chattahoochee Valley Veterans Council, The Family Center, The Retired Sergeant Majors Association, USO, Valley Health Care, Veterans Affairs Regional, Veterans of Foreign Wars, Wounded Warrior Project, Military Families