The Kiwanis Club of Dougherty County welcomed four new members in induction ceremonies held September 17 at the Hilton Garden Inn. The new members were introduced and received pins from their sponsors. Pictured from left are inductee Scott Cowart and his sponsor Casey Perkins; sponsor Sami Harewood and new member Denise Binns; inductee Peggy Hagerty and sponsor Kristin Caso; and new member James Rogers, with sponsor Jim Huffaker.
Club membership chair Ben Lockett also offered a brief summary of Kiwanis’ mission, structure, and history. The Kiwanis organization began in Detroit in 1915 as a gentlemen’s social club but soon evolved into a community service organization focusing on helping youth, in a concept that spread nationally and overseas (Kiwanis International today has its headquarters in Indianapolis).
Kiwanis came to Albany in 1920 with the chartering of the Albany Kiwanis Club, which has played a role in the establishment of more than 50 clubs in South Georgia including the Kiwanis Club of Dougherty County in 1952. Kiwanis DoCo this year observed its 60th anniversary and the Albany Kiwanis Club has generated a 30 percent membership growth. (Other clubs in the area are the Lee County Kiwanis Club and Albany Golden K Kiwanis Club. The Kiwanis clubs support youth and community activities and projects as well as school-based programs K-Kids for elementary students; Builder’s Clubs in junior highs; Key Clubs in high-schools; Circle K, focusing on college campuses; and Aktion Clubs for adults with disabilities.