The top photo is a 1913 postcard of the Flint River Brick Company of Albany. The bottom left photo is a brick embossed with the company name. Though the streets of Albany were originally paved with bricks made in Canton Ohio, bricks from the local factory were used later. Some of these old bricks can still be seen in crosswalks downtown and around the Riverfront Park. The bottom right is a photo of Maurice Martin Minter. Minter, a native of Baldwin County, moved to Albany in 1912 to run the plant. Minter patented a system for the process of burning clay products; this process became known as the “Minter System.” Minter became perhaps the most knowledgeable man in the country on the subject of heat conservation and use, his efforts advanced the industry significantly. He was Vice President of the Minter System and engineered and designed kilns used for clay products that were put to use all over the US, Canada and other countries.
Betty Rehberg is the former historian for the Albany Journal and maintains a group on Facebook called Vintage Albany Georgia.