It was bikers’ week at the Philema Road Baptist Church this past Sunday. I didn’t count the motorcycles but there looked to be about 30. One of them was mine. Some of the riders look the part. They’ve got the ZZ Top beards and some have a variety of tattoos. I have neither. While I am not the quintessential biker stereotype, I do enjoy the ride.
I enjoyed it a little more Sunday as my wife rode on the back to the church. She took her helmet off, went inside and did what she does on typical Sundays there. She played the piano. I walked on to the choir loft and sat next to another biker who had done the same thing. Even the pastor is a biker. The only difference between him and us choir boys is that he sports the ZZ Top beard. I don’t recollect any tattoos.
Most of the bikers this Sunday were Christian motorcyclists. A gentleman was asked to open the service in prayer. He prayed something like, “Thank you that so many bikers are here today. Just because you ride a motorcycle doesn’t mean you’re a bad person, Lord.” A lot of them belong to an organization I’ve been meaning to align with more closely. It’s called The Christian Motorcyclists Association. I’ve been invited to join them for their meetings which are on a certain day of the month. I think I will make it in June. If not, my intentions will stay intact.
I hope they don’t mind if I repeat what they put on their website. I never have been one to go around picking fights with a gang of bikers. Anyway, the remainder is right off their website.
Vision: Changing the world, one heart at a time.
We will accomplish our vision through:
- Evangelistic outreach primarily, but not exclusively, to the motorcycling community.
- Run for the Son, where we will partner with ministries with world-reaching potential.
- Equipping our members in ministry training that aligns itself with Biblical truths.
- A servant’s attitude to the world and to our members.
- Quality products that aid in evangelistic outreach.
- An effective work center support team.
Doctrinal Statement: The Christian Motorcyclists Association is interdenominational and evangelistic in nature. We believe in:
- The Bible as the inspired and infallible Word of God
- One God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit
- The virgin birth and deity of Christ, His explicit atoning death, bodily resurrection and ascension
- Salvation through the blood of Jesus Christ
- The sanctifying power of the Holy Spirit who enables every believer to live holy
- The second coming of Jesus Christ