ATLANTA- House Speaker David Ralston (R-Blue Ridge) today announced the following appointments to the House Study Committee on the Horse Racing Industry:
- · Rep. Harry Geisinger (R-Roswell), chairman
- · Rep. Tim Bearden (R-Villa Rica), vice-chairman
- · Rep. Jon Burns (R-Newington)
- · Malaika Rivers, Marietta, Citizen of the State Appointee—Rivers is the executive director of the Cumberland Community Improvement District (CID), Georgia’s model public-private partnership for transportation infrastructure financing. Under her leadership, the CID and its initiatives have been recognized nationally and internationally by the US EPA, US DOT, International Downtown Association, Georgia Planning Association, Association for Commuter Transportation, as well as notable coverage by the Wall Street Journal, National Public Radio, ABC World News and more. Rivers has been named a “40 Under 40” by both Georgia Trend and the Atlanta Business Chronicle, a “25 Power Women to Watch” by Atlanta Woman magazine and a “Woman of Achievement” by the YWCA. Rivers is a graduate of Virginia Tech.
- Hank Burnham, Athens, Citizen of the State Appointee – Burnham currently serves as Director of Data & Content for Environmental Data Resources, Inc., the nation’s leading provider of environmental risk information serving environmental professionals, lenders and corporations. He served two terms as a member of the Lake Lanier Islands Development Authority from 2003-2011 and served as Chairman from 2006-2008. He holds an undergraduate degree from Georgia Southern University and is the author of several historical books and professional articles. He has been an active member and served in leadership roles in several professional, business, educational and political organizations spanning 25 years and is a noted lecturer.
- John A. Damico, Cumming, Individual who is involved in the Horse Racing Industry Appointee—Damico is a founding partner of Matson Driscoll & Damico (MDD), an international forensic accounting firm with 34 offices in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Singapore, Australia and Hong Kong. He has provided economic damage quantification (EDQ) analyses on a number of high profile matters, including leading assignments related to the 9/11/01 terrorist attack on the World Trade Center Complex and surrounding businesses, product(s) liability & contamination matters, class action litigation, hotel fires and collapses, accidents at nuclear power plants and large-scale natural disasters. He is also a well regarded speaker and has presented on a wide variety of topics. Damico proudly served his country as a decorated LTJG in the US Navy from 1967 – 1970. He is originally from Fair Haven, NJ and is a graduate of Boston College. Damico is a founder of Atlanta National Golf Club and is also an avid Thoroughbred owner/ breeder and manages The Posse Racing Stable LLC. He is a past president of the Georgia Thoroughbred Owners and Breeders Association (GTOBA). Damico and his wife, Becky, have been married for over 40 years.
The House Committee on the Horse Racing Industry was created under House Resolution 643. For more information about House Resolution 643, please click here.