The Albany State University Theatre Ensemble attended the 75th Annual National Association of Dramatic and Speech Arts Conference held at The Black Academy of Arts and Letters in Dallas, Texas, on March 9-13.
During the conference, Ensemble members won the following awards.
- W. Dury Cox Set Design Competition: Karena Anderson, Honorable Mention
- Oral Interpretation of Poetry: Jacob Artis, Rating of Excellent (second place)
- Dramatic Monologue: Hillary Scales, Rating of Superior (first place)
- Reader’s Theatre: The Last Mama On The Couch Play, The Colored Museum Rating of Excellent (second place), directed by Dr. Mark Burnette, assistant directed by DeRon S. Williams
- S. Randolph Edmonds Playwright Competition: Theodore Holmes, Rating of Superior (first place)
- Allen Williams One-Act Play Festival: “Cries from Soweto,” Rating of Superior (first place), directed by DeRon S. Williams
- All Star Cast Members: Ta’Varis Wilson Lecia Wright
Also at the conference, Ensemble members were elected to the following positions.
- Hillary Scales, NADSA Student Vice-President
- Jasmine Carson, NADSA Student Parliamentarian
- Ta’Varis Wilson, NADSA Student South Regional Representative
- DeRon S. Williams, Competition Committee Co-Chair
Photo caption: Albany State University Theatre Ensemble members who competed at the 75th Annual National Association of Dramatic and Speech Arts Conference held March 9-13 at The Black Academy of Arts and Letters in Dallas, Texas, are (front row from left) Chris McGhee, India Martin, Hillary Scales, Charnel Zephirin and Diamond Paulk; (middle row) Richard Adams, Mr. DeRon S. Williams, Ashaland Johnson, Nicolle Burke, Lecia Wright, Carolyn Grant, Jasmine Carson and Dr. Mark Burnette; (back row) Theodore Holmes, Demitri Nader, Ta’Varis Wilson, Jacob Artis, Karena Anderson, Quenton Matthews, Christopher Atkinson, Beauvyon Swain, Demitrius Jones, Ishmael McKinstry and Jasmine Green.