You are here:  Home  >  Opinion  >  Tom Knighton  >  Current Article

Things should be interesting

By   /   March 12, 2011  /   Comments

With the announcement that Mayor Willie Adams will not be seeking re-election, and with the departure of former City Manager Al Lott, there’s a significant chance for change to actually occur here in the Artesian City. Who knows, it might really become the Good Life City once again.

Mayor Adams presided over the city during a time of significant troubles. He accused the media of driving away businesses by reporting on those annoying facts of corruption within the city. He failed to take responsibility for a great many things, but he wasn’t the only one responsible.

His decision to not run again was his own, and I respect it, regardless of our differences of opinion on what this city needs. However, his departure leaves a void for the upcoming mayoral election that should definitely make things interesting.

Discussions have commenced all over Albany as to who will succeed Adams as mayor. Early speculation has first-term City Commissioner Christopher Pike as a popular choice. Also discussed has been Pike’s fellow commissioner and Darton College professor Roger Marietta. Other discussion revolved around City Commissioner Bob Langstaff. Even yours truly has been asked if I was going to run. (At this point, it isn’t likely to happen.)

An open seat makes for an interesting race for one reason above all others: no one has the advantage of incumbency. Everyone is jockeying for position during the race with no one having the clear inside edge due to position. Basically, everyone starts off equal. You can’t get more American than that.

Whoever takes over from Adams will have their hands full, to say the least. Should any sitting commissioner win the seat, then a special election for their vacant seat will change the look of the commission even more. This is a good thing.

Our commission, as a whole, has let the people of Albany down. Now, an opportunity presents itself that we would be foolish not to take advantage of. Sitting commissioners, business leaders, or whoever you feel should be mayor has an equal shot at the prize. We can inject new blood into the offices and roll up our sleeves so we can get down to work rebuilding this city into what it once was.

I won’t pretend to know how it will end. I won’t even pretend to know that whatever the elections yield will be good news for Albany. What I will say is that, no matter what happens, this campaign season should make for one wild ride.

Print       Email

Comments

1. Truth B Known says:

He and his boys are the ones who made it so bad.Mayor Adams presided over the city during a time of significant troubles.They made the troubles.But they will just leave them for the next person to have to fight.

2. Truth B Known says:

Oh i forgot,when you send any of them away from here,dont give them no money.They have taken plenty from the citzens,or let it be taken from them.Just look at the Judges on the bench now.
    And i know i butt into alot of things on here i should not cuz i get so mad at stupid people.But it s My right.Plus i think Alot of those 2 fellows up there,and dont know them that well.but i read what they write,and they stand behind what they write.You dont see to many other people doing that.

3. Truth B Known says:

Admit it,we have ha bunch of Screw up in there now,so anyone we get in there will be better than what we have now.We have Willie,who admits he lies,drinks,and has someone to drive him around to his drinking holes,then we have Lott,and well he outs here so that speaks loud and clear,just not before he broke Albany,with his good ole boy buddies.Then we have gun toting Davis in the Court house,when he speaks everyone is supposed to listen.Excuse me that was EF Hutton.As far as R or D i am just me.All i espect from someone going in Office,is them stand before Albany,recite his Oath of Office,what ever it may be,and sign it.If they do not hold up to the Oath send them packing for breach of contract.And the 2 above that you are talking about bella.Well id much rather have eitherone of them behind me if i neded them than the ones that are on Office now.The Ones in Office right now do not listen to US,The People.And in Washington,we need good leaders,not FLIP FLOPS.

4. bella says:

You’re right…I shouldn’t be making jokes about your political affiliation. In fact, there are about 156 elected Libertarians nationwide, and of them, 118 of them are in non-partisan offices. That really says a lot. Well, to me, that says that if you are a Libertarian and you’re planning on running for office, you shouldn’t tell people that you’re a Libertarian. Anyway, while you want to get all caught up in technicalities, my point still remains. You are both always criticizing the leadership of this city but I’m willing to bet anything that if you were in their position you wouldn’t do half as good of a job.

1. Tom says:

As for Libertarians holding non-partisan offices, try looking at ballot access laws that make holding partisan officer a little tricky. As for whether either of us would do a better job, that’s open for discussion. However, I never claimed I would do a better job. I just want us to get people there who will. Big difference.

5. bella says:

Why don’t either you or Kevin Hogencamp run for mayor? No…I have an idea. Why doesn’t Hogencamp run for mayor and you apply for city manager? That would be a better fit because I’m not sure you’d get too far running for mayor on the Libertarian ticket in Albany. We’re just not very into that kind of thing around here; either you’re a Republican or a Democrat. Its almost like being bisexual; either you’re gay or straight. There shouldn’t be an in between, it just doesn’t feel right. Anyway, it seems like the two of you have so much to say about the management of the city so you should take over and see how much better the town is then. Although I think Mayor Adams is somewhat of a weirdo, the truth is that he is no worse than Tommy Coleman was and you guys weren’t painting him red. You people are so transparent its ridiculous.

1. Tom says:

“Bella”,

First, let me point that that there’s no “running for mayor on the Libertarian ticket”. It’s called a non-partisan race…meaning there aren’t any “tickets” involved.

As for not blasting away at Tommy Coleman, I wasn’t writing about local politics back then, so no I wasn’t. However, that doesn’t mean I supported him. Frankly, I can’t think of a thing he did that I actually supported.

Of course, I suspect you’re not the type to let the facts get in the way of your diatribe.

About the author

Owner / Editor / Writer

Tom Knighton is the publisher of The Albany Journal. In November, 2011, he became the first blogger to take over a newspaper anywhere in the world. In August of 2012, he made the difficult decision to take the Journal out of print circulation and become an online news agency, a first for the Albany area.

You might also like...