The Albany Journal publishes “Vintage Albany” photos, which can be found on Facebook, every week. This 1952 picture, taken in Albany, is of Dr. Joseph Winthrop Holley, founder of what is now Albany State University, and Dr. Mary McLeod Bethune, founder of what is now Bethune-Cookman University in Daytona Beach, Fla. Born to former slaves, Holley founded the Albany Bible and Manual Training Institute in 1903 to provide elementary education and teacher training for local black people. The institution became state supported in 1917 as the Georgia Normal and Agricultural College. In 1932, the school became part of the University System of Georgia, and in 1943, it was granted four-year status and renamed Albany State College. The name was changed to Albany State University in 1996. Holley served as president until 1943.
- Published: 1541 days ago on August 13, 2010
- By: Tom Knighton
- Last Modified: August 14, 2010 @ 11:25 am
- Filed Under: Lifestyle and Entertainment